Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A few things I have learnt today about Unreals AI and bots.

They sound obvious but are very important to me:
"In general, a bot will choose the shortest route to his destination, except for sometimes choosing to go through an alternate path in CTF, or avoiding paths were many bots have died."

It was as I suspected. However what if the bot has no destination, will it then choose the shortest path to nowhere?

I did a quick experiment today and discovered 2 important things. Heres a little pic of the map my poor guinea pig ran through. (there was no escaping death... at the end of each path it would die and respawn again in the middle)



With no obvious destination the bot will choose a random direction to run in regardless of path length.

After roughly 65 deaths the bot "wises up" and "hesitates" about which way to go, it will wait where it spawned for a time then it will fall into a repeating pattern, according to the last 3 deaths that occured before the wait.
r=right
l=left
u=up

eg. u,u,l,r,u,r,r,u,r,l,Wait,u,r,l,Wait,u,r,l,Wait,u,r,l,Wait ... etc.

So, why do I care? I dont know yet, but I have a feeling this is going to be important.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alison said...

The first time I saw it wait I got so excited, I was like WOW! It learned, its alive!

I wasnt so impressed the second time.

I would have loved to have seen it just stop, why does it keep trying? it should just wait for a new stimulus.

9:23 pm  
Blogger Trexx said...

Hi, there
Was just passing by and I realised the artwork. Impressive and unique.

10:07 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home